Spiritual & Psychological First Aid
This interactive and engaging 16-hour course (four weekly 4 hour modules) incorporates application of learned principles through practical scenarios and group interaction. The spiritual and psychological principles presented can be administered by anyone (regardless of formal education or licensure) to anyone in the aftermath of crisis or critical events. This course truly provides a solid foundation for people helping people.
1. Assess personal spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical health so as to be ready to care for others.
2. Define and assess tools for listening and providing ministry of presence as the foundation for care.
3. Articulate what to say and what to avoid saying in moments of crisis.
4. Analyze and implement the process of spiritual and psychological first aid:
*Assess – the circumstance, environment, and individual
*Assist – in ways that meet the needs identified through assessment.
*Enlist – by identifying and tapping into resources of other individuals and organizations to round out a care plan.
5. Define resources for care in special circumstances (suicide, line of duty death, overlapping crisis events, etc.)
6. Analyze and discuss ethical practices of sharing faith in crisis
All course curriculum is covered during course dates and time frames. There is no additional homework assignments or required reading. Recommended reading and a printable Spiritual & Psychological First Aid workbook will be provided during the course.